Saturday, January 24, 2009

You Ask, We Answer!

Hello Everyone. Here is the first of our weekly 'You Ask, We Answer' features, where we respond to your questions. We will switch this up by sometimes answering via video. Also, feel free to send us your questions on video! Here we go:

Hi Eby!
Here in Toronto (Canada), it is freezing cold with a mix of rain and snow. I see in your photos that it seems to be warm and sunny. What is the weather like there?
Katy


Hi Katy. Well, it sure isn’t Toronto! It is in the mid 80’s today, so it is nice and warm. We do get some rainy days, however. While rainy days are not the best for enjoying the beach, they are important for the flora and fauna, which are enjoyable in their own rights. If you are getting sick of the cold, come pay us a visit. You know how to find us!

Hello Eby & Camille – I noticed that there don’t seem to be roads on the island. How do you get around? – D. Patel

This is mostly correct. There aren’t really any roads on most of the islands, but that is because a lot of them are so small. There are some here, on Hamilton Island, but that is mostly for shuttle busses and golf carts, which are the fasted ways of getting around. We usually just walk and bike everywhere, however. Less pollution = cleaner air = better island experience.

You are so lucky to have this job and I truly envy you, but since you got it (and I didn’t), I have a few questions about it (a bit of masochism for my ego, perhaps?). Is it truly the best job in the world or are there some not so great aspects to it? How is the food? What type of people vacation there (country of origin, age, gender, lifestyle, etc.)? Is there anything you miss from home?
Gary B.


Which submission were you? I looked through a lot of them, so perhaps I saw yours along the way. I will tell you, it really is the best job in the world. The only downside is that it only lasts 6 months…so far (I will keep you updated if anything else pops up). The food is great. We make a lot of our own (perhaps Camille will post some photos at some point), but we do eat out at some of the restaurants. The wait staff is super friendly (especially for NYC standards), and the views can’t really get better. We have seen all sorts of visitors that span the spectrum: Australian, Kiwi, American, Chinese, Japanese, South American, British, French, German…I can probably go on for a while. I have also noticed quite a mix of ages, from college students on holiday to families and newly weds. I would say that there are probably more women visiting the islands, though it is pretty close. Lifestyle? I guess there are a lot of backpackers, but there are probably more people that are less adventurous and just want to relax. Hope I got at what you were asking. I want to say that I don’t miss anything from home, but perhaps that is just me not wanting to miss anything from home. I guess I miss being around a lot of people. Coming from NYC, you are always around a ton of people, and coming here there are people, but a lot less. That is your hint to come visit us! I miss my friends and family, obviously, but it is only 6 months and there is nothing that I miss so bad that I can’t wait 6 months for. Thanks for the email, Gary!

EBY! I DEMAND TO SEE MORE PHOTOS OF HOT BABES ON THE BEACH! SHOW ME!!!

AHAHAHA. Thanks for your honesty. I am sure a lot of other people feel the same, but then again, I am sure a lot of others don’t. I will see what I can do without offending others.

Hello.
This email is for Camille. Do you feel like the luckiest girl ever, or what? I mean, you got to go to and live on Hamilton Island (for free?) for half the year…not to mention Eby is hot! LOL
- Kate


Hi Kate! Thanks for checking out the blog. Having family in Australia, I knew I’d come to this side of earth one day, but I had no idea we'd get this huge opportunity to come and stay on Hamilton Island for 6 months! I definitely feel like luck is on my side. How can you feel unfortunate when you're brought to the middle of paradise! I’m thrilled to be experiencing all this with lovely Eby. I’m glad to be able to him with the rest of the world! Oh, and it wasn’t quite free, we actually had to pay for my ticket, but other than that it was. Bye! ~ Camille

Camille is smokin’!!!

I know! Why do you think I brought her?!

Hey, I was just curious about Eby’s name. It is pretty unique and I was curious where it comes from. Thanks.
Libby


Hi Libby. My name is actually Persian as I am half Iranian (my dad is from Iran). And in case anyone is wondering about Camille, her parents are from Poland.

Eby,
I wanted to make some requests. Please show us more of your living quarters. Also, could you give us a look of the island after dark? Perhaps a video tour or something that would help us have a better understanding of what it is like there when the sun is down? Cheers!
Robert F.


No problem. I will start working on something to show off the house ASAP. I will put some thought into the night tour and plan out a video tour shortly. Good ideas. Thanks, Robert.

Hi there, Eby and Camille. I also applied to this position, but I wasn’t so successful, obviously. Regardless, I have looked into the islands so much and have been following along with you that I have convinced my wife to take a trip over there for our vacation in a month or so. Where can I find you so that we can meet you two and perhaps be on the blog? Do we just hope to find you wandering about?
Drew (and Annie)


Haha. You may find us wandering about, but the best way is to email us shortly before you come and let us know when you will be in and we can figure out a time to meet. Glad you are coming and look forward to meeting you two.

Hiya Eby,
I read that you skateboard. How long have you been skating? I was thinking about making a trip over, but I was wondering if there were any places to skate on the island. What’s there to skate?
Stu


Hi Stu. Yes, I do skateboard. I have been skating for over 11 years. You should totally come visit. There isn’t much to skate besides flatground right now, no skateparks or anything, but I might be building a miniramp and a fun box. When are you thinking about coming? I might have it ready by then and you are welcome to skate it with me! Also, I have not been to all of the islands of the Whitsunday yet, so I am not sure if any of the others have anything yet, though I doubt it.

Hi Eby – I saw or read somewhere that you were going to donate 20% of your income there to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I just wanted to commend you, as they are a great organization that does extraordinary things for children with terminal illnesses. I have donated to them in the past and hope that this will raise some awareness to their cause. If I may ask, what made you decide to do that? I hope to hear back from you. Thanks!
Patricia


That is correct, Patricia, 20% of my income will be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I am happy to hear that you donate to them yourself. I am doing so because I have always admired the work they have done for unfortunate children that are being taken from Earth so young. This opportunity was a blessing for me and I am very lucky to have it. I realize that will all he luck I have had in this, there are many children which have had the worst of luck in their illnesses and I want to at least be able to pay it forward in a way. I also hope to somewhat set an example and encourage others to donate when they can (within means, of course) to the charity of their choice.

Is there anything on the islands that you have yet to do yet but look forward to?
- Bill


Hello Bill. Actually, there are many things we have not done yet and I look forward to doing. I still haven’t explored all the other islands yet. I look forward to taking an aerial tour of the island, snorkeling the reefs, meet YOU!, etc., etc., etc.

Good day, Eby.
My fiancée and I are looking for the right location for our honeymoon right now and are highly considering Hamilton Island. Could you (and or Camille) give us some insight on the romance factor on the island(s)? We know that some tropical locations are better than others for romance, so please be candid with us. Thanks in advance!
- Daphne S.


I have been to Bali, which many people consider one of the most romantic tropical islands, and can say that Hamilton Island blows it out of the water (I think I actually intended that pun)! Hamilton Island is not as over exposed as Bali and give you more alone time, which is always great for turning up the romance, plus the views set the scene for a great romance to set in. While we have been together for 4 years, or time here has helped keep the romance in our relationship very strong and has made us a much stronger couple than before (as if that was possible…who knew?!). So to sum up, COME!

Thanks for those of you who have emailed us. We will not be able to respond to all emails, but we will try to as much as we can. Some of you have gotten replies directly, others have asked similar questions that were answered here. If you want to get your questions answered or just want to tell us something, shoot an email over to [insert email address]. Remember: you can submit video questions too (just upload to YouTube and email us the link)!

-Eby

No comments:

Post a Comment